Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some Light Travel Reading

Despite the growing number of countries where the number of smartphones and computers are starting to outnumber the human population, sometimes when you're traveling, there's nothing more reliable than a good old paperback for some entertainment.  You don't need reception, you don't have to be worried about getting charged for roaming, and the batteries on it never die.

I've taken all types of books on trips with me and the only kind I would blatantly not recommend is hardcovers (self-explanatory), however my preference is often collections of short stories, and books related to travel.  I choose short stories because they're kind of like the quick food stall meals you wolf down before dashing off to catch a train/plane/etc.  When I'm on the road, my window of reading time is often finite and I can easily be distracted, so shorter formats that get to the point and don't leave me hanging if I suddenly have to close my book and run is often more satisfying.  Travel books serve a number of purposes, while in one country I might read a guidebook for the country I plan to visit next so I'm familiar by the time I get there.  Or if I select travel fiction or other travel stories, I find those more easily relate-able when I'm also journeying myself because I'm already in that frame of mind.

Sidenote:  If you're into comics I find it provides a good balance to bring a book and a (thin) graphic novel.  After staring at pages and pages of words it's nice to be able to break it up with some artwork and a different format.  I'm not much of a magazine/newspaper reader myself but I can definitely see their appeal while on the road too.

My favourite travel-related book (which ironically I did not read while on the road) is The Ridiculous Race by Steve Hely& Vali Chandrasekaran, 2 TV comedy writers who challenge each other to see who can make it around the world faster without the use of airplanes.  Interesting bet, but don't expect miraculous and innovative results, it's more about the absurd and ridiculous things they do along the way.  It's not highbrow, but easily digestible and so-wrong-it's-hilarious.  Also it's a lightweight 300 page trade paperback, perfect for stuffing in your backpack or handbag. As much as I highly recommend this book for travel, I would never recommend it for the gym.  I nearly fell off my elliptical machine three times because I burst out laughing and let my foot slip.

The Ridiculous Race can be found in some book stores or bought on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Ridiculous-Race-Steve-Hely/dp/0805087400 
(it's also availble on Amazon.ca)

What do you like to read while on the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment