Monday, May 09, 2011

A Few of My Favourite Things - Favourite Montreal Things That Is...

For those of you who are Southern Ontario dwellers, you will note that the weather is finally starting to look at little bit better, even a promise of temps reaching 20 later this week (albeit with showers but given the last few week's weather, I'll suck it up and take it).

There are a few things every year that signal the approach of warmer weather to me... when I start to wear sandals into the office (as opposed to bringing a pair to change when I go home), my best friend's Victoria Day bbq in the beaches, and a trip to Montreal before all the Grand Prix madness starts.  I've been to Montreal during different times of the year and have made about 10 or so trips in the past 8 years, so I've become pretty familiarized with Downtown and the Plateau areas, etc

Admittedly frequent trips with similar purposes and often the same people year after year can turn you into a creature of habit.  My interests and tastes have changed throughout the years, I'm no longer obsessed with getting into the after hours club with the best sound system in North America for starters (incidentally I have made it to Stereo in years past).  What I now aim for is a mix of old and new, this works better some years than others depending how many days I'm there and who I'm with.

Naturally the only things I can speak of are those that I've experienced, in exchange I would love to hear from you some of your favourite things to do on a leisure weekend in Montreal and maybe I can incorporate some of those into my trip next month.  Please forgive me if I make a few errors in my references (and please feel free to correct), I'm doing this with a guidebook and much as I go there, it's not my home city.

  1. Mont Royale -- This is a must for everyone who enjoys a little nature, and a free panoramic city view.  The greatest thing about Mont Royale is that it's situated right in the middle of city, it's walkable from the hotel strip on Sherbrooke, McGill Campus, the Plateau, even downtown and the Latin Quarter if you can stand to walk for about 30mins.  Before taking another walk that is, usually on the trail that leads all the way to the top of the mountain to the lookout and the cross that is visible throughout the city.  I've been up there a couple times, I hope to see the sunrise one of these years, I think it'd be an interesting experience.
  2. Parc du Mont Royale  -- just below Mont Royale is large stretch of green space, fields, playgrounds, picnic tables, walking trails and is the home of the Tam Tam Festival every Sunday during the summer.  It was designed by the same guy who created Central Park in New York.  The Tam Tam festival is not only one of the great drum circles, but features many vendors and hawkers selling their wares spread out on blankets in the park, while a lot of stuff is trinkety tourist crap, you can still find some unique crafts and jewelry in the midst of all the sellers.  Tam Tam aside, my favourite thing to do in Mount Royal Park is to toss the frisbee around, the grass is always so lush and fresh that I can never resist taking off my shoes to play.  It's also not bad to nap in (next time you arrive on a 4am bus to save a few bucks) but I suspect those days might be behind me as well.
  3. Maison Simons -- http://www.simons.ca/  Outside of Macy's in NYC, Simons is probably my favourite fashion department store in the world to shop at.  Which might surprise some of you considering I also frequent places such as Harrods, El Corte Ingles, etc.  Of all the people that I've brought along to Simons, guy or girl, I don't think there's a single person who disliked the place.  What they offer is a wide variety of clothing for men and women, in a multitude of styles AND prices.  In a one stop shop I can pick up basics by their store brand (Twik) starting at under $10 for sale items to the latest styles by international designers, selection ranges from tanks & tees to formal dresses, purses, scarves, and there's even an extensive swimwear and sportswear collection and lingerie upstairs.  My guy friends walk out with everything from graphic tees to dress shirts.  Everytime I go in I forewarn my friends that they will not hear from me again for at least an hour and a half.
  4. Chez Jose -- http://www.yelp.ca/biz/chez-jose-montreal  A little independent cafe in the Plateau that a friend introduced us to in 2003 and has been one of my favourite cafes since.  Delicious crepes, baked goods, and coffee at affordable prices.  It's a tiny shop so during peak hours you might have to stand at the entrance for 10-15 mins before a table opens up, and if you show up with 8 people (as I have done before) don't expect to be sitting together, but the character and atmosphere of the place will make you fall in love.
  5. Patati Patata -- http://www.yelp.ca/biz/patati-patata---friterie-de-luxe-montreal  Another dirt cheap spot serving up delicious food, this one more like a greasy spoon establishment though.  They make everything fresh that you can observe from over the counter so there's usually a bit of a wait for your food (nevermind the potential lines).  All burgers are in slider size so order a few because you'll definitely want more, they are also the only place I know of that makes slider-size TOFU burgers!  I'm not talking about some pre-processed Yves veggie burger, but a thick slice of firm tofu marinated and grilled.  I sometimes lie in bed at night and dream of this tofu burger lol.  I'm also always torn between salad or fries, both are so good.  It'd be a miracle to get a seat inside this narrow joint tho, so head outside to the parkette across the street to eat.
  6. Frite Alors -- http://www.fritealors.com/en/indexb_a.html  Who in their right minds goes to Quebec and then doesn't eat poutine right?  So chances are if you're in Montreal you're going to come across one of the Frite Alors restaurants.  Pop in for some poutine, they have a pretty great selection and the portions are pretty big.  If you're a meat eater, try the smoke sausage with gruyere.
  7. Bar B Barn -- http://www.barbbarn.ca/  My friend Chris turned me onto this place and I've been a few times since.  You gotta be a big meat-eater to survive this place (I learned the hard way one year), otherwise plan ahead to share a meal with another weakling.  They take the "barn" part to heart with the wooden stables decore, and their main focus is chicken & ribs.  It's good value, you get a decent portion for your money, it's a great casual dinner hangout (my pick for pre-hockey game meal)
  8. Old Montreal and The Bonsecours Market -- http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/eng/accueila.htm  Another lovely place for a walk, this is the historical center of Montreal that is most reminiscent of Europe with the water nearby and horse-drawn carriages trotting along the cobblestone streets.  Within Old Montreal is the Bonsecours Market, housed in an impressive Neo-Classical building.  With sections stores selling different items, my favourite is shop that sells the ethnic instruments, I have been known to walk out with a tam tam or rain stick.
  9. Fairmount Bagels -- http://www.fairmountbagel.com/  My bagel intake isn't what it used to be, but bagels are a Montreal staple and I still never go without stopping in at Fairmount for my fix.  The best part is, they're open 24 hours so I can stop in any time to see their bakers working on a fresh batch of handmade goodness.  A passerby once witnessed me holding my dozen bagels so lovingly outside the store that he asked to take my photo.  True story!
There you have it, just a few of my recos and haunts.  The other Montreal staple food aside from the poutine and bagels of course is the smoked meat.  Unfortunately I did not get to visit Montreal until years after I'd stopped eating beef so I've never partook in this tradition.  I'm sure many of my beef-eating friends will implore you not to miss out on Reubens though http://www.yelp.ca/biz/reubens-deli-montreal .  Now, please, it's your turn, add in the comments your favourite things to see/eat/do in Montreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment