Thursday, August 04, 2011

Spare Change for the Opera?

One of the jewels of Vienna I'm told is the Wiener Staatsoper (trying to resist the urge to make a hot dog joke...) aka the Vienna Opera House, one of the most important opera houses in the world.


Access into the opera house itself is restricted to guided tours and performances, the former not very appealing as I'm allergic to tour guides. Performances, while enjoyable to me, can get pretty pricey. Shows at the Wiener Staatsoper are actually quite reasonable with tickets as cheap as 11€-30€, the views will be obstructed but at least you're in the building with a seat for the show. To save further, if you're willing to give up your seat (literally), there are 600 standing spots per show with tickets as cheap as 3€ each!

This blurb from Trip Advisor outlines where to line up for super cheap same day standing room tickets, the options for where you can stand, tips on proper etiquette and how to politely secure your spot. I think it's worthwhile to give this a go, and I will report back later in the fall on how I do. I figure the plan of attack is to pack my binoculars (I'm not cultured enough to own opera glasses nor do I know the functional differences between the two) and sit during intermissions to rest up. For 3€ I also wouldn't feel too badly if I got tired/bored and decided to leave during one of the breaks.

If you follow this link, it will bring you to a large image of the inside of the opera house. It's a little blurry but if you scroll you'll notice on the main level and on the top level at the very back there are some folks standing at the very back behind some railings. Personally I can live with that, especially knowing that I've just saved myself up to 150€.

No comments:

Post a Comment